Did you know that bricks are one of the “original” green building materials? Bricks are energy-efficient, strong and 100% recyclable. George Macculloch (1775-1858) purposefully chose brick for his home in Morristown.
During a walk, use the attached activity sheet to search and find brick structures and brick patterns in your neighborhood.
- Bricks and Blocks: Be a Brick Detective (PDF document)
- Watch a video clip from Colonial Williamsburg and their traditional brick making program.
- Learn about brick’s strengths and weaknesses as building materials at the PBS website.
- Try making your own mud bricks that can dry in the sun. Experiment using soil, sand, water and other natural materials. Visit www.parentingscience.com for instructions.
- Find books about architecture for ages 3 to 12.