During MHHM’s summer program Dig it! Plant it! Eat it!, visitors and staff pick fresh vegetables and herbs from the historic kitchen garden. We learn healthy recipes together.
To celebrate National Salad Month, we happily share a recipe that was a big hit in our “house” last summer, Roasted Beet and Apple Salad!
MHHM will soon share the plans for a virtual Dig it! Plant it! Eat it! this summer.
Recipe: Roasted Beet and Apple Salad
- 1 lb. of beets (baked at 425 degrees for 1 hour with olive oil)
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped shallots
- ½ tsp. honey
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. coarse black pepper
- 6 cups torn crisp greens (romaine, kale, Swiss chard)
- 2 apples (quartered, cored and sliced)
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley
Cut baked beets and sprinkle with 1 tbsp. vinegar and set aside. Combine remaining 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar, shallot, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk in remaining 5 tbsp. of olive oil. Combine lettuce, apples, and parsley in a serving bowl, add beets and drizzle with dressing. Enjoy!
Topic: Celebrating Holidays
Age / Level: Elementary, Middle